Tankless water heaters continue to grow in popularity thanks to their many advantages for the homeowner, but some people are still resistant. What are the true advantages and disadvantages of tankless water heaters?
Tankless water heaters are designed to be small and compact, so they will not take up a large amount of space in your home. They are also better for the environment if environmental-friendliness is a concern for you. Tankless water heaters also come with a longer warranty than comparable water heaters, that can last up to 15 years. This makes the upfront investment much more worth it in the long term, as you will be protected for a longer period of time.
The most common reason homeowners invest in tankless water heaters is the energy savings. The average tankless water heater saves a little over $100 every year off of energy bills.
The Key Disadvantages
While tankless water heaters can be great investments, they are not without their disadvantages. The most notable disadvantages include:
- Tankless water heaters can cost over three times the amount that a traditional water heater would
- Older homes do not always have the infrastructure present to have a tankless water heater installed, and they would need to first hire an electrician before installation to rewire the home (which can cost up to $5,000)
Before You Switch
Before you make the switch to a tankless water heater, consider the following:
- How many rooms in your home need heated water?
- Does your home already have the electrical wiring necessary for a tankless water heater?
- Where will you be placing your water heater?
- How much do you have to invest in a water heater?
All of Your Plumbing Needs from Alpha Plumbing
Alpha Plumbing is a full-service plumbing and contracting company serving the Baltimore and Annapolis metro area with expertise in all aspects of plumbing. We’re family-owned and operated since 1991 from our office in Pasadena. We offer quality plumbing services at reasonable rates in a timely fashion. Our trucks are equipped with GPS systems to ensure we’re prompt and on time. No job is too large or too small! We maintain a fleet of well-stocked trucks and also own and operate our own backhoes for jobs requiring excavation.